Thursday, May 6, 2010

Stitches and Techniques

I am always on the look-out for fancy stitches and techniques. Fairy Stitch Sarah of knit1felttoo (on Ravelry) just added a great, beautifully photographed pictorial of the broomstick stitch done with lace ribbon yarn and I found a good video with a demonstration of the Channel Island Cast-On, done by OfTroy. A variety of cast-on methods are found on her video blog. I find it not complicated to follow printed stitch instructions, but a video demonstration or pictorial is so much easier to follow and understand the technique.


Working with Lace Ribbon yarn can be sometimes be a challenge if you are a perfectionist.
Ribbon yarn spins and twists and one will constantly have to counter the twist and keep the yarn straight. If this characteristic bothers you, you will have to add untwisting time to your project schedule!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

You are hired to be my marketer, Laura. I really wasn't thinking about the twist--how they laid all flat are beyond me :D Just to tell you...I'm not mindful as all when come to details.

I love the easy picot effect the Island Channel Cast On produce...but is there a matching bind off? The regular picot-bind off I normally use would be largely off balance. Just wondering...hmmm...I will give it a try and see if I can come up with one :D

The scarf is stunning. The mixtures of fiber and colors are out of this world. LOVE LOVE LOVE.