Monday, January 25, 2016

At the Beginning of Year 2016

we are all hoping that this year things will take a turn for the better. There were so many tragic events and a lot of grief and sadness during the past year. The hope for freedom and safety drew refugees across dangerous seas, and they were welcomed with open arms or rejected on the grounds of many reasons, an uncertain future awaiting them either way. Nobody knows overall solutions to those troubling problems... But at least we can try and help.
Snow Hat
Last year, I began knitting items for children as my contribution to help people coming into Germany. They are ill prepared for cold winters and snowy conditions and so I thought of hats:

Snow Hat - fluffy white with gold sprinkles
This is a nice pattern, a hat with inbuilt ear flaps, using a light color to make the wearer visible and thus safer during the dark winter hours. Story behind it:

Snow Hat
After I had already started and been about halfway, I was not happy with my winged earflaps. So I did an earflap hat/cap pattern search on Ravelry, a search which was followed by a determined and quick frogging activity.

Snow Hat - moss stitch brim
Using fancitiger's pattern "Ice Skating Cap" I quickly knit up this pretty cap plus two more and dropped them off at one of those collection centers for items useful for refugees. It warms my heart to think they will warm somebody's ears...

Snow Hat - creamy white and gold
I love to knit. Sometime people ask me why I knit. The very question can only come from somebody not involved in textile crafts. Knitting, crochet and other textile techniques involve the brain and the heart and soul simultaneously. While I knit, I can think of wonderful events in my life - especially of my family and friends and cats, as well as of the many wonderful homes I've lived in in a number of countries. In short: it makes me happy.

Winter Morning - Le Lauragais
Observations -  "A small child is toddling along the sidewalk, stopping now and then, seemingly for no particular reason, and then just as spontaneously picking up speed for a short dash to the next attraction, seemingly invisible to everybody but the child. The adult following the child smilingly seems to have no hurry at all in her steps, her arms are a bit stretched out, hands open and ready to catch the child if need be. The child laughs and turns around to share his joy of having seen something new and the grandmother responds in kind with an understanding and reassuring smile."
Frosted Berries (Copyright Valerie Mader)

1 comment:

arrangal said...

Love this blogg - the combination of knitting, beauty and caring.